The mathematics group at IMSc pursues research in diverse subdisciplines. In addition to traditional areas of pure mathematics, some of the faculty have interests in applied and computational aspects as well. Activities in the group include regular graduate courses, research seminars, as well as periodical instructional workshops and conferences. There is a graduate programme for which applications are invited once a year. The group also hosts around 12 postdoctoral fellows at any given time.
Faculty positions: The institute periodically issues advertisements calling for faculty applications. For more information, please see:
The current research interests of the mathematics faculty are in the following broad areas.
- Algebra and Representation theory (Algebraic combinatorics, commutative algebra, finite abelian groups, Hopf algebras, representations of finite groups, associative algebras, Lie groups and Lie algebras): Vijay Kodiyalam, Amritanshu Prasad, K.N. Raghavan, S. Viswanath.
- Algebraic geometry (Vector bundles, principal bundles): Jaya N. Iyer.
- Functional analysis (Operator algebras, quantum groups and non-commutative geometry): Vijay Kodiyalam, Anilesh Mohari, S. Sundar.
- Geometry and Topology (Symplectic geometry, Lie groups and homogeneous spaces, Algebraic and differential topology): Pralay Chatterjee, Dishant Pancholi, Sushmita Venugopalan.
- Number theory (Analytic, algebraic, additive and transcendental number theory, modular forms, cryptology): Anup Dixit, Sanoli Gun, Anirban Mukhopadhyay, K. Srinivas.