IMSc invites applications for regular faculty positions as Fellow, Reader, Professor in the main research groups at IMSc, namely, Theoretical Physics, Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Science and Computational Biology.
About the Institute
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), funded by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, is a national Institution for fundamental research in the theoretical sciences. Research at the institute is internationally recognized. The institute runs a selective PhD program, supports several scientists at the post-doctoral level, and runs an active visiting scientist programme, hosting scientists from all over the world. The Institute admits students after their M.Sc./M.Tech degree (or) B.Sc/B.Tech Degree for pursuing and obtaining doctoral degrees under Ph.D/Integrated Ph.D. programmes of 5 years and 7 years respectively in the disciplines of Theoretical Physics, Mathematics, Theoretical Computer Sciences and Computational Biology. This Institute is one of the aided academic institutes under the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India which is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy and partially funded by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
IMSc faculty members conduct research, advise graduate students, teach in our graduate programs, participate in outreach activities and have other professional responsibilities. IMSc follows the rules and regulations as applicable to Central Government employees including, for example, leave and other policies. The Institute also has a sabbatical policy, encourages travel for scientific purposes and is assisted by a supportive administration.
Online applications are invited for Direct Recruitment for filling the following posts, through the application portal: www.imsc.res.in/frecruit
The deadline for applying is 23:59 hrs on 29th February 2024.
The Institute is committed to fostering an inclusive, non-discriminatory environment supportive of diverse individuals which reflects gender balance and women candidates and candidates of other unrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Details of Posts advertised for Direct Recruitment:
|Name of Post and Level
Faculty Positions :
Fellow E — Pay level 12
Ph.D. in any of the
broad areas of
Biology or closely
Suitability for positions at higher levels (F, G, H) is determined by the quality of the applicants’ research and their academic profile, including years of research experience following their PhD.
IMSc being an aided institution under the Department of Atomic Energy, follows Central Government Pay scales and allowances applicable to Central Government employees. Emoluments are at par with similar institutions of the Government of India. Off-campus faculty accommodation is provided to faculty members, subject to availability. House Rent Allowance (HRA) is paid if Institute accommodation is not availed or is unavailable.
Last date for receipt of applications :
29th February 2024 at 23:59 hrs.
Interested candidates may apply (online only) along with the following:
- Curriculum Vitae, including date of birth, nationality, current affiliation, postal and email correspondence addresses, and a list of publications
- A detailed description of current research interests
- A concise outline of a planned course of research over a 3-5 year period
- Any other material the applicant feels is relevant to the application (eg. a brief teaching statement, industrial research experience, etc.).
Applicants are required to upload a single PDF containing the above details.
In addition, applicants should mention the names and addresses of at least 3 academic referees, who will be contacted directly by the institute.
Applications should be uploaded via www.imsc.res.in/frecruit
After initial screening of the applications, suitable applications will be taken up for further processing by the Institute. Evaluation reports shall be obtained from the referees provided by the candidates and / or other Experts in the field of specialisation by the Institute. As part of the suitability evaluation process, shortlisted candidates are expected to give a research seminar and interact with IMSc faculty.
The final selection shall be based on recommendations of a Selection Committee constituted for this purpose.
The Institute reserves the right to pre-screen candidates and to process only those applications further that are found suitable. Fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria does not automatically imply that the applicant will be short-listed.
The Institute reserves the right to consider to fill or not to fill positions in any of the listed areas of its research, depending on the quality of applications it receives.
General Terms & Conditions:
- Applications will have to be submitted THROUGH ONLINE PORTAL only.
- No hard copies or email applications shall be entertained.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Candidates are requested to go through carefully the details of posts and instructions.
- Candidates working in Government / Semi Government / Public Undertakings / Autonomous bodies should apply through proper channel and they should enclose a “No Objection Certificate” from the present employer.
- Candidates are required to have a valid Email ID and convey the same in the application. It should be kept active during the currency of this recruitment. IMSc will send further communications in this regard only through the registered email ID.
- Period of experience as prescribed in the Advertisement will be determined with reference to the last date for submission of application.
- Mere fulfillment of requirements as laid down in the Advertisement does not entitle a candidate to be shortlisted.
- The decision of the Director of this Institute in all matters will be final and binding on the candidates.
- The selected candidates will be governed by new re-structured defined contribution Pension Scheme (National Pension Scheme) which has come into force w.e.f. 1.1.2004 vide Ministry of Finance Notification No. 5/7/2003-ECB&PR dated 22.12.2003 and the provisions made there under by contributing monthly an amount of 10% of Pay and Dearness allowances and 14% contribution from Government.
- IMSc reserves the right to accept or reject any application at any stage of the Recruitment process, if the candidate is found ineligible for the post. The decision of Director, IMSc shall be final in deciding the eligibility / suitability of the candidate.
- Director, IMSc reserves the right to cancel the whole process of recruitment without assigning any reasons thereof and decision of the Director, IMSc, is final in all respects.
For further information related to this advertisement, please contact:
- The Registrar, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai 600 113, India.
- Phone: (+91 44) 2254 3150, Fax: (+91 44) 2254 1586
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates must ensure that information provided by them is true. If at any subsequent stage if any information given by them or any claim made by them in their application is found to be false, their candidature will be liable to be rejected and also liable for any other appropriate action as deemed fit.
- No communication will be entertained from candidates.
- Any legal disputes arising out of this advertisement are subject to Chennai jurisdiction only and in case of any dispute, English version of advertisement placed on website www.imsc.res.in will be taken as reference.
- Indicative advertisement has already been published by the Institute in leading Newspapers.
- Canvassing in any form will be a disqualification.