- Statistical physics of phase transitions and critical phenomena
- soft condensed matter
- physics of fracture and earthquake
- disordered systems
- nonequilibrium statistical physics.
- Ph.d. (1989) from Calcutta University.
- 1989-1991 : Post doctoral position at The University of Manchester, UK.
- 1991-9193 : Post doctoral position at the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Science and University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany.
- 1993-2003 : Reader at The Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2003-2010 : Professor at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2010 - Senior professor at The Institute of Mathematical sciences.
- A microscopic approach to the statistical fracture analysis of disordered brittle solids, P. Ray and B. K. Chakrabarti, Sol. St. Commun. 53, 477 (1985).
- Sherrington-Kirkpatrick model in a transverse eld : Absence of replica symmetry breaking due to quantum fluctuations, P. Ray, B. K. Chakrabarti and A. Chakrabarti, Phys. Rev B39, 11828 (1989).
- Chirality-glass and spin-glass correlations in the two-dimensional random-bond XY model, P. Ray and M. A. Moore, Phys. Rev. B45, 5361 (1992).
- Finite size effect in the dynamics near the glass transition (56), P. Ray and K. Binder, Europhysics Letters 27, 53 (1994).
- First-order transition in the breakdown of disordered media, S. Zapperi, P. Ray, H. E. Stanley and A. Vespignani, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 1408 (1997).
- Dispersity-driven melting transition in two dimensional solids , R. Sadr-Lahijany, P. Ray and H. E. Stanley, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 3206 (1997).
- Spatial distribution of persistent sites, G. Manoj and P. Ray, J. Phys. A33, 5489 (2000).
- Statistics of fracture surfaces, S. Santucci, K. J. Maloy, A.Delaplace, J. Mathiesen, A. Hansen, J. Bakke, J. Schmittbuhl, L. Vanel and P. Ray, Phys. Rev. E75, 16104 (2007).
- Universal scaling dynamics in a perturbed granular gas., Jabeen, R. Rajesh and P. Ray, Euro Phys. Lett. 89, 34001 (2010)
- Equivalence of the train model of earthquake and boundary driven Edwards-Wilkinson interface, S. Biswas, P. Ray and B. K. Chakrabarti, Euro. Phys. J. B 86, 388 (2013)
- Nucleation versus percolation: Scaling criterion for failure in disordered solids, S. Biswas, S. Roy and P. Ray, Phys. Rev. E 91, 050105(R) (2015)
- Critical behavior in fiber bundle model: A study on brittle to quasi-brittle transition, S. Roy and P. Ray, Euro Phys. Lett. 112, 26004 (2015)
- Quasi Long Range Order and Vortex Lattice in the Three State Potts Model, S. Bhattacharya and P. Ray, Phys. Rev. Lett 116, 097206 (2016)