IMSc offers Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs in physics.
Applicants for the Ph.D. program should have completed a masters' degree in physics by the time they join the program.
Applicants for the Integrated Ph.D. program should have completed a bachelor's degree in physics or a B.E./B.Tech degree by the time they join the program.
Admission to both these programs is now open to students who have qualified for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of the UGC-CSIR NET examination or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) or the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) [see details below].
The last date for submitting applications (including the receipt of the recommendation letters) for the programs is May 22, 2023.
For admission to the physics Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs, an applicant should have qualified one of the following examinations securing a rank as indicated below.
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
- At the time of the interview, you are required to produce a valid JEST scorecard.
- JEST rank should be 100 or below.
UGC-CSIR NET Examination
- Only those who have qualified for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) are eligible to apply.
- Those who have qualified for only Lecturership are not eligible.
- CSIR rank should be 100 or below.
- At the time of your interview, you are required to produce a valid letter from CSIR-UGC in which you are informed of your qualification as JRF.
GATE qualified candidates
- At the time of the interview, you are required to produce a valid GATE scorecard.
- GATE Rank should be 100 or below.
Apply online by May 22, 2023.
JRF selection interviews:
- Interviews for admission to the physics Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs at IMSc are scheduled to take place online in end-May (not before May 28th) or early to mid-June.
- Details will be sent only to shortlisted applicants by May 26th, 2023.
Note: Receipt of a complete application before the deadline does not guarantee an interview spot. Based on the applications we receive, we will shortlist a few candidates for an online interview. These selected candidates would be notified of the exact date and time of their online interview on/or before May 30th, 2023.
This page was last updated on June 20th, 2023. Any further updates or changes to the schedule would be notified here. Please keep checking this website regularly.