IMSc offers PhD and integrated PhD programmes in Physics.
Applicants for the PhD programme should have completed a Masters degree in the Physics by the time they actually join the programme.
Applicants for the Integrated PhD programme should have completed a Bachelors degree in the Physics or a BE/BTech degree by the time they actually join the programme.
Admission to both of these programmes is based on the candidate's performance in Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) and to those who have qualified for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of UGC-CSIR NET examination or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
For admission into Physics Graduate programme 2019, applicant should qualify any one of the following examination.
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
Please note that the maximum JEST 2019 rank as under.
- 181 for Ph D
- 123 for Integrated Ph D.
- Interviews are scheduled to be held from April 01 to 05, 2019.
- Selection of JEST 2019 qualified applicants is completed.
UGC-CSIR NET Examination
For admission into Ph. D. programme, applicant should be qualified for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). Please note that:
- Only those who have qualified for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) are eligible to apply.
- Those who have qualified for only Lecturership are NOT ELIGIBLE.
- Please note that the maximum CSIR rank is 150 and below.
- Please note that you have to produce your letter from CSIR-UGC informing you of your qualification as JRF at the time of your interview.
- Online applications for CSIR qualified applicants will be available later, and the Interviews will be held from 26 to 28 June, 2019..
GATE qualified candidates
- Please note that you have to produce the valid Gate Score Card at the time of your interview.
- Please note that the minimum score required is 97%tile.
- Interviews will be held from 26 to 28 June, 2019.
- Apply online (CSIR / GATE qualified only) on or before May 25, 2019.