UPDATE -- 08 May 2018.
The last date for application to the Computational Biology Ph.D. programme at IMSc was April 27, 2018. It was expected that the results of the CSIR-UGC JRF-NET examination held on December 17, 2017, will be announced before this date. Unfortunately, results for this exam have been delayed.
The following is applicable ONLY for students who appeared in December 17, 2017 for the CSIR-UGC JRF-NET examination:
- If the results for this examination are declared before the interview dates of June 4, 5, 6 and you have qualified for JRF, you may attend the interviews as walk-in candidates. Please bring along a completed application: a covering letter, CV including university grades/marks, statement of interest, and a copy of your JRF qualification letter.
- If the results for CSIR-UGC JRF-NET are not yet announced by the time of our interview dates, we will not be able to interview you on those dates. However, we will consider holding interviews at a later date after the announcement of these results, for the benefit of such students.
FOR ALL OTHER CATEGORIES OF CANDIDATES, APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED AS OF APRIL 27, 2018.
For students interested in frontier research at the interface of biology, computation, physics and applied mathematics
IMSc is a leader in India in fundamental research in theoretical physics, mathematics and theoretical computer science, with several members actively pursuing research in interdisciplinary areas including computational biology. In 2013 IMSc started a unique Ph.D. programme in this subject, training students to apply cutting-edge computational and mathematical techniques to problems in modern biology, in collaboration with leading biology departments and institutions in India and abroad.
IMSc is an autonomous national research institute under the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, and a constituent institution of the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai (a deemed university). Ph.D. degrees will be awarded by HBNI.
STRUCTURE OF PROGRAMME
Before embarking on their research, students have three semesters of coursework, which consists of seven core courses, to be carried out at IMSc; elective courses, which may be taken at IMSc or at other institutions by mutual consent; and lab rotations, at collaborating labs in other institutions. The core coursework covers essentials of modern biology, essential techniques from physics, mathematics, statistics and computer science, physics of proteins and biomolecules, biological sequence analysis and algorithms, and systems biology. Elective coursework covers various topics in greater depth. Following the coursework and a comprehensive examination, students will embark on research leading to a Ph.D. degree.
Selected candidates will be research fellows at IMSc and will receive fellowships, housing or house rent allowance, and contingency grants.
Click here for course syllabus.
Biology at IMSc
Current areas of interest include:
- Biophysics and mechanobiology
- Systems and network biology
- Pattern formation and dynamics
- Biomolecular modelling
- Regulatory genomics
- Evolutionary biology
- Computational neuroscience
- Infectious disease modelling
We expect to expand into more areas in coming years. See here for more details.
Masters degree in any branch of science or engineering OR 4-year Bachelor's degree (B.Tech, B.E. or equivalent) in engineering/science
Valid test score from any national research entrance examination (UGC-CSIR NET, JEST, GATE, NBHM, DBT BINC, etc). Test scores must be valid as of June 2018.
Application deadline: April 27, 2018
Interview dates: May/June, 2018 (to be announced)
Offers of admission: June/July, 2018
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send applications on plain paper to:
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences
CIT Campus, Taramani
Chennai 600 113, India
Include with your application:
- A covering letter
- A statement of interest
- A curriculum vitae including university grades/marks
- Results of relevant national test (JEST, NBHM, GATE, NET, BINC or other)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Last date for applications April 27, 2018