The NBHM coursework option has been discontinued at IMSc (from the academic year 2018-19 onwards).
The information below is only for archival purposes.
The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) gives the choice, to candidates selected for its Ph.D. Scholarship, to join selected institutions for course work, prior to joining an approved institution for research.
The procedure to be followed by candidates selected for the NBHM Ph.D. scholarship who desire to enrol for the course work of the IMSc Ph.D. programme is outlined below.
Candidates should write (by email or post) to the Director, IMSc, requesting permission to follow the IMSc Ph.D. course work, enclosing a copy (scanned version is acceptable) of the offer letter from NBHM. In case the offer letter from NBHM is awaited but not yet received, you may provide your Hall-ticket number and zone/place where you wrote the NBHM test. If sending email, please put "Request for NBHM coursework" in the subject line of your email. All such requests should be received by June 1 of the relevant year.
- Postal Address: The Director, Institute of Mathematical Sciences, CIT Campus, Taramani, Chennai - 600113.
- Email: director [at] imsc (dot) res (dot) in
Candidates are required to provide the following information:
- Postal address (valid during June-July 2017) --- this is the address to which the offer letter will be sent, if selected.
- Mobile number
- landline number (if available)
- Whether accommodation is required?
On receipt of the offer letter from the Director, IMSc, the studnet should communicate their decision to join IMSc for course work,
- to the Member-Secretary, NBHM, enclosing a copy of the offer letter from IMSc. This will facilitate NBHM transferring their scholarship amount to IMSc, which will disburse the monthly scholarship amount to the candidates. (Address: The Member-Secretary, NBHM, Anushakthi Bhavan, CSM Marg, Mumbai - 400 001.)
- A copy of this letter should also be sent to The Registrar, IMSc, for records.
- Candidates who have been selected for admission for PhD coursework at IMSc will be informed by 12th June 2017. They are expected to inform IMSc about their acceptance or otherwise on or before 3rd July 2017. They are expect to join the Institute by 1st of August as the courses at IMSc commence in the first week of August.
- The course work at IMSc will be distributed over two semesters, August-November and January-April. Candidates are expected to follow these courses seriously and submit all assignments and take examinations, tests etc exactly as do the regular IMSc students. They will be evaluated and the results will be communicated, at the end of the academic year, to NBHM.
- At the end of the course work, these candidates are expected to leave the institute and seek admission to a doctoral programme in an approved institution/university on their own initiative.
- In view of limited availability of infrastructure, IMSc regrets that the NBHM PhD coursework students cannot be provided office space. Also men students cannot be guaranteed accommodation. However women students will be provided accommodation. All students who are not provided accommodation are eligible to receive House Rent Allowance as per government rules, in addition to their scholarship amount.