Welcome to the Institute of Mathematical Sciences!
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences is located in a campus-like area variously known as the ``CIT Campus'' or the ``CPT Campus'' in the Taramani area of Chennai. Here is a schematic map of the location of IMSc within CIT Campus and its environs.
Participants who are staying in Asiana, Ginger or the IMSc guest-house may click here for a more detailed sketch with the relative location of IMSc with respect to these locations.
Click here for a shcematic map in the local language tamil, which might come in handy during your stay here.
Information on getting to the Institute:
- From Airport
- From Central Railway Station
- Suburban Trains
- Taxis and Autorickshaws
- IMSc Shuttle Service
Chennai has one airport with the Anna international terminal and the Kamaraj domestic terminal. They are separated by a few hundred metres.
* The easiest way is to take a pre-paid taxi from the airport. The taxi fare is to be paid inside the terminal. You will have to give the postal address of IMSc. In principle, this should be enough, but if this is not sufficient, please point out at the prepaid counter that IMSc is about half a kilometer before TIDEL PARK which is a big electronics and software park that everyone knows. The total distance from IMSc to the airport is about 15 km or less.
* If you feel adventurous, you could take a local suburban train part of the way. There is a suburban railway station just outside the airport, called Tirusulam. From here, take a train headed towards Beach, and get off at Guindy. From Guindy station, you could take an autorickshaw to IMSc; the distance is about 5km.
If an IMSc vehicle is to pick you up at Chennai Central, look for the driver in the big hall straight ahead of Platform 11, near the Higginbotham's book stall where the driver should be waiting.
There are pre-paid autorickshaw and pre-paid taxi booths located near the main entrance/exit of the Central station. You have to come all the way out of the station building.
The person in the booth will give you a token with the fare written on it and assign a driver. You actually pay the fare to the driver after you get to your destination---so the fare is pre-determined rather than pre-paid.
Give the postal address of IMSc. If asked, specify that the institute is next to the Film Institute, and about half a kilometer before TIDEL Park.
Suburban trains ply between Chennai Beach station and Velacheri. The journey takes 30 minutes from Central to Indira Nagar Station. The Indira Nagar station (the one before Tiruvanmiyur) is a few minutes' walk from IMSc. (However please do use the overbridge to cross the road!). Train schedules: Chennai Beach towards Tiruvanmiyur and Velacheri; Velacheri towards Chennai Beach.
Normal taxis are few and far between in Madras. Your best bet is the three-wheeled autorickshaw. One autorickshaw can accommodate upto three passengers. If you are staying in a hotel, you can ask the hotel to fix up an autorickshaw for you. The ride should take 20-30 minutes from most of the main hotels in town.
Call taxis ply on (reasonable) metered rates. You usually need to phone a call taxi company a couple of hours before the time you need the taxi to pick you up. Here are a few telephone numbers of some of the commonly used Call Taxi Companies.* Barathi Call Taxi - 2814 2233
* Fast Track Call Taxi - 2473 2020
* Chennai Call Taxi - 2538 4455
* NTL - 044 3000 3000
Autorickshaw drivers are notorious for haggling. However, it may be easier to settle for a flat rate to avoid worrying about whether the driver is taking the optimal route!
Shuttle service details: Click here.