Today the process of creating mailing lists to replace bulk mail aliases at IMSc has started. I have long argued for this approach as it permits:
- Using centralised spam filtering (since many users still do not filter their mail at all).
- Long term archival
- Giving users the choice of how to read bulk mail:
- normal delivery
- digest delivery
- only read the web archives
- (Need to figure out swaml to provide yet another option!)
- Subscribing/unsubscribing users is easier than maintaining
- alias databases (since switch over to LDAP has been put off indefinitely).