- About Us
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Theoretical Physics
- Computational Biology
- Quick Links
IMSc Visiting Students Programme Theoretical Computer Science
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences has a limited programme for highly motivated bachelor's and master's students interested in doing theoretical work in computer science to visit the Institute. This is typically for 6-8 weeks during the summer (May-July). There is also a provision for a 4-6 month visit (typically during January-April or August-November).
* This is a limited programme, depending on the availability of infrastructure facilities and faculty guides.
We typically select 0-5 students.
(This is not a programme for those interested in joining as doctoral students; they should see the Doctoral student selection page. Students already doing a PhD elsewhere should see the Graduate visitor programme.)
* Students currently studying in their pre-final or final year of BSc/BE/BTech or first year MSc/ME/MTech or equivalent with a good academic record are encouraged to apply.
* Our interests are largely mathematical, and applicants should check the TCS page for faculty interests.
Applicants are expected to have studied basics of computing, such as principles of programming, data structures and algorithms.
Having worked on the implementation of a large program, or a thorough knowledge of mathematical aspects (such as automata theory, combinatorics, computability, discrete mathematics, graph theory) will be an advantage.
* Selected students will be paid 2nd class round trip train fare plus Rs. 100 per diem.
Accommodation will be provided in the Hostel during summer, subject to availability.
Accommodation will not be provided for longer visits.
Selected students will have an opportunity to pursue research-level studies in areas of interest at the Institute including algorithms, automata theory, combinatorics, complexity theory, concurrency theory and logic.
To apply: Fill in the online application form.
Application: February 15 for the next May-July summer period, April 15 for the August-November period, October 15 for the January-April period in the following year.
Notification: Selected students will be informed four weeks after the deadline (by March 15, May 15 and November 15 respectively).